
Latest news, sport, business, comment, analysis and reviews from the Guardian, the world's leading liberal voice
The police raided Andrew’s Norfolk home on Thursday
Before the arrest was announced, the prime minister told BBC Breakfast “nobody is above the law” when asked about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.
Keir Starmer added:
Anybody who has any information should testify.
So whether it’s Andrew or anybody else, anybody who has got relevant information should come forward to whatever the relevant body is, in this particular case we’re talking about Epstein, but there are plenty of other cases.
Continue reading...Thu, 19 Feb 2026 17:38:56 GMT
King expresses his ‘deepest concern’ and says ‘law must take its course’ as former prince arrested at Sandringham estate
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office by police investigating the former prince’s dealings with the convicted child sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
In unprecedented scenes, unmarked police cars and plainclothes officers were seen at Mountbatten-Windsor’s residence at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate at about 8am.
Continue reading...Thu, 19 Feb 2026 17:16:40 GMT
First arrest of a senior member of royal family in modern history came on morning of former prince’s 66th birthday
It was shortly after 8am on Thursday when a small fleet of unmarked police cars drew up at Wood Farm on the king’s private Sandringham estate in Norfolk.
Plainclothes officers stepped out into the late winter drizzle and readied themselves for a historic act that the royal family might have been expecting and dreading for weeks. Inside the house, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was perhaps sitting down to a birthday breakfast.
Continue reading...Thu, 19 Feb 2026 16:00:50 GMT
Nine forces are looking into Epstein’s links to UK, including those relating to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday morning after years of mounting controversy over his relationship with the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Claims against the former prince have long been in the public domain. However, the recent release of the Epstein files has led to a number of UK police forces saying they are examining a variety of issues linked to Mountbatten-Windsor.
Continue reading...Thu, 19 Feb 2026 14:46:02 GMT
What happens next hardly matters: the mystique and awe surrounding the royals had been irretrievably shattered. The former prince’s arrest must change everything
The arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is a seismic moment for the royal family as well as for himself. On one hand, it is hard to believe any greater harm can befall the family after weeks of drip-feed from the US Department of Justice’s Epstein files. On the other, a royal arrest of this sort is unprecedented. Enough is already in the public domain to indicate that police believe that there must be a case to answer to the charge of misconduct in public office.
King Charles, who apparently was not warned in advance that his brother was to be arrested, has been scrupulous in his response. “The law must take its course,” he said, offering prosecutors “full and wholehearted support and cooperation”. Whatever happens now, a line has been crossed in the life of the nation. A once exalted royal, facing serious judicial investigation by authorities acting on behalf of the citizenry. Stripped of status and finery, he faces the spotlight as would any other inhabitant of these isles. One cannot know the outcome, but just this arrest feels like a pivotal moment.
Continue reading...Thu, 19 Feb 2026 13:56:04 GMT
Advisory firm has lost string of clients despite efforts to cut ties with co-founder after Epstein revelations
Global Counsel, the advisory firm co-founded by Peter Mandelson, is to collapse into administration, blaming the “maelstrom” caused by revelations about the former peer’s relationship with the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Companies including Barclays, Tesco and the Premier League have all deserted Global Counsel, despite the company’s efforts to sever ties with Mandelson and the company’s co-founder Benjamin Wegg-Prosser.
Continue reading...Thu, 19 Feb 2026 15:55:26 GMT
Under existing agreements, the British government must issue clearance to the US before it can carry out military operations from UK bases
Alex Davies-Jones, a justice minister, has said the government wants to pass the legislation implementing the Chagos Islands deal as soon as it can – despite Presidient Trump’s lastest diatribe about it. (See 9.34am.)
Davies-Jones was giving interviews this morning and she told Times Radio:
This deal is essential and crucial for the national security of the United Kingdom and that is the first priority of any government.
We will be bringing the bill back as soon as parliamentary time allows, because this is about national security.
Continue reading...Thu, 19 Feb 2026 17:17:29 GMT
‘Outstanding public servant’ becomes first woman to hold cabinet secretary role
Keir Starmer has appointed Antonia Romeo as the cabinet secretary, the UK’s most senior civil servant, and praised her drive and professionalism.
The appointment comes after high-profile criticism of Romeo from a former permanent secretary of the Foreign Office, Simon McDonald. Romeo has been highly praised by other previous secretaries of state as well as the current home secretary, Shabana Mahmood.
Continue reading...Thu, 19 Feb 2026 11:09:41 GMT
PM argues party wants to send women back to ‘old days’, as he also urges Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor to speak to authorities
Reform UK’s plans to repeal the Equality Act are “shocking” and un-British, Keir Starmer has said, warning legislation that has provided decades of protection for women would be ripped up.
In a pre-recorded interview with BBC Breakfast, the prime minister said the legislation was British at its core and represented “basic values”, before arguing Reform wanted to send women back to the “old days” when they were not treated equally.
Continue reading...Thu, 19 Feb 2026 09:25:27 GMT
Exclusive: approximately 350-acre compound planned as base for multinational force, according to records reviewed by the Guardian
The Trump administration is planning to build a 5,000-person military base in Gaza, sprawling more than 350 acres, according to Board of Peace contracting records reviewed by the Guardian.
The site is envisioned as a military operating base for a future International Stabilization Force (ISF), planned as a multinational military force composed of pledged troops. The ISF is part of the newly created Board of Peace which is meant to govern Gaza. The Board of Peace is chaired by Donald Trump and led in part by his son-in-law Jared Kushner.
Continue reading...Thu, 19 Feb 2026 10:00:03 GMT